Monday, July 9, 2012

The Annular Eclipse 2012

So this year we were able to view an annular eclipse from where we live and we were really lucky it fell on a Sunday afternoon. We kinda made a day of it and spent the morning making "viewing equipment" out of paper and boxes. We went over to my mom's house and sat outside and had a fun little viewing party.

Cory, Sheldon (background), Kaylee (in the box), my dad, and Jordan
We all got into it and had fun looking at the eclipse.

The girls had fun being outside too. We put a little blanket out for them and for the most part they stayed on it, but . . .

They also had fun playing in the boxes.

Pepper, I think, loved the box. She even sat down in it and tried to close the flaps.

Peek-a-boo!

Kaylee had fun in a box too.
In fact we all played in the boxes.
Kaylee and me.
My dad
Cory and Sheldon
(Jordan had gone to lay down because she wasn't feeling very well)
We even got my mom in a box!
(She wouldn't go in one without someone else)

I was able to grab a few good photo's of the eclipse with my phone so you can see what it looked like. I thought it was super cool. This eclipse is the moon passing between the sun and earth. So, with the right shadow effect you can see the shadow of the moon moving in front of the sun.

This one was right before the moon completely covered the sun. If you look really close you can see the light beams coming off the sun. (It might not work on the computer, but still pretty cool!)

It really was a fun day with the Fam. Who knew science could be so fun?

Izzy did!


No comments:

Post a Comment