Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Earrings!!!


When I was a little girl my mom wanted to give her girls earrings when we were babies, however my dad felt like the girls should be old enough to make their own choice and said that we should be at least 8 before we got earrings.
I understood where both parents were coming from. I thought it would be nice to be able to take care of the girls' earrings while they were still too young to use their hands, and rip them out. I liked the idea that I could set the hole in the ear while they were babies and that the skin, being so new, would not hurt them as bad and grow better around the earring, so in later years they have no chance of the hole getting infected. (look it up, it's true) I also thought it would be easier on me to clean their ears now, three to four times a day, because I knew I could just add it to my feeding routine. I have no clue how busy these girls are going to be at the age of 8, and I DON'T want to have to add clean your ears, clean your ears, clean your ears to the barrage of brush of teeth, eat your vegetables, do your homework, and clean your room that I am already going to be saying 40 times a day. (I mean 80 times, I have two of them)

On the other hand, I totally get where my dad is coming from. I do think that they should be old enough to make their own choices. If I do this while they are young and they don't want holes in their bodies, there is no going back. I would like them to be able to choose to do something like this and then take the responsibility to heart and take care of their bodies. An 8 year old would also sit still much better during cleanings, and would have so much more fun going to the mall and getting the earrings then a baby anyway.

Cory and I did not take the decision to pierce their ears lightly. We had many conversations about it and we went back and forth during my pregnancy on weather or not to do it. In the end though, . . . . .

it was just too cute not to!

I got them all ready to go and put them in their car seats. Grandma Michelle and Aunt Jordan came with me to help and hold babies when they were done so I could finish filling out paper work and pay.
This is the last picture of Pepper with no earrings,

and this is the last one of Izzy. PS, she didn't want her picture taken at the time.

Call me cruel, but I love this picture. Pepper is so cute when she cries.

Izzy can sure make you feel sorry for her with that pitiful face.
Don't worry both girls stopped crying not even 5 minutes after we were done. Yes, it was sad, but don't feel too bad for them, they were fine!

Or maybe not. As we were walking back to the car we noticed that Pepper had her toes clenched as tight as they could go. Ok, if you want to feel bad for them I guess you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment