Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Twins

"As a parent of multiples, you'll often hear people say, "Oh, my kids were only eleven months apart. It was just like having twins." There's no easy way- and no good reason- to politely explain to someone that the two situations are nothing alike. It's easiest just to smile and nod agreeably."
Wise words from a friend of mine.

I don't, for one minute, think that I am better then anyone because I have twins, but I will say; there are a few things that someone who gives birth to one baby does not get to experience.

First of all, time to bond with your new baby. When someone brings home a new baby the whole family (or those that are old enough to understand) know that you are going to spend time bonding with that new baby. I had two new babies that I wanted to bond with at the same time. At times I wondered if I was going to have enough love to love both individually but the same amount. Treat them equally, but never compare one to the other.

Care for two newborns! There is a trial and error period when you first bring home the new baby where moms can try things to see if their new babies like this or that. You learn things like, they like to be rapped tight in their blankets and when they sleep they want their feet uncovered. They like there food very warm. I think people are surprised to hear that my girls are different. Yes, I have two very different babies. They may be twins but they are their own person. So when I get their milk ready everything is color coordinated. Izzy is green and Pepper is pink. Pepper gets this in her milk and this much and Izzy gets that in her milk with that much, and it is different! I had to learn two different babies preferences at the same time and remember it all.

Things you don't think about with one baby. I love my double stroller, but there are many places I can not go with it because it is too big. And I can't walk in holding two babies that both don't have complete control over their necks. Maybe if one could hold her neck I could prop her on my side and hold the other. Have you ever tried going to the grocery store with twins. You can push the cart and pull the babies behind you, or you can push the babies and pull the cart behind you. Either way, you look retarded.

The joy of twins. The other day Cory and I were driving in the car with our girls. Both of them sneezed at the same time and Cory and I started laughing, not even 30 seconds later they did it again. My girls will always have a special bond with each other. The bond between a set of multiples is unique. Beginning even before birth, it is one of the longest and most enduring interpersonal relationships that a human being can have. It surpasses that of regular siblings. The intensity of this relationship often makes multiples the best of friends one moment and bitter enemies the next. As I watch my girls grow and learn even at this age and know that they will be different then other children because they are twins. They already learn from one another and already they are best friends one moment and want nothing to do with the other the next moment.

I can't believe that my Heavenly Father blessed me with these girls at the same time. I can't believe I have twins! It is crazy! But I do, and I am so happy that they are all mine. I can't wait to see how fun twins are going to be in the next 18 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment